Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

Detroit -- Hundreds of community residents turned out for a candlelight vigil Saturday night to honor Wayne State University Police Officer Collin Rose who was killed in the line of duty.

The vigil, organized by members of the Woodbridge neighborhood, began at Scripps Park Scripps Park near Grand River and Trumbull and marchers headed to the spot where Rose, 29, was shot while attempting a traffic stop on DeAngelo Davis around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday near Lincoln and Brainard.

Visitations and a funeral Mass are scheduled next week for Rose.

On Wednesday, visitation will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Ford Field in downtown Detroit and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Kaul Funeral Home, 28433 Jefferson in St. Clair Shores, the funeral home announced on Saturday afternoon.

A funeral mass will be held Thursday at 11 a .m. at Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 22415 Overlake in St. Clair Shores. Visitation will be held at 10 a.m. before the mass.

Due to the funeral, school will be canceled Thursday, as will the 7 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. masses at the parish.

Earlier on Saturday, the Gift of Life Michigan announced that Rose had donated his organs, which will help up to 75 people through use of his tissue.

Gift of Life Michigan, in a statement on Saturday on its Facebook page, said Rose was a registered donor and that dozens of his colleagues from around the state on Saturday provided a police escort to take his body from the Gift of Life surgical center in Ann Arbor to Kaul Funeral Home in Clinton Township.

“Just as he served his community in life, Officer Rose’s generosity continues with his passing,” the organization said.

Rose, 29, was shot while attempting a traffic stop on DeAngelo Davis around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday near Lincoln and Brainard. Davis was riding a bicycle at the time, officials said. It was not clear Friday what led to the stop, but police have said Rose did not appear to be targeted.

The officer called for backup at 6:31 p.m. When another WSU officer arrived minutes later, Rose was found suffering from a gunshot wound.

Rose was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital, where he died Wednesday evening. University officials say he is the first WSU officer to die in the line of duty.

Davis was arrested around 10 p.m. Tuesday, a few blocks from the shooting. He was remanded to jail Friday on charges including first-degree murder and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

If convicted, the 31-year-old faces up to life in prison without parole on the murder charges.

Read or Share this story: