Cops: Man arrested after stabbing woman, bus driver

James David Dickson
The Detroit News

A 34-year-old man is in police custody and stands accused of stabbing a woman and slashing the face of a 51-year-old Detroit bus driver on the city’s west side on Tuesday night.

Trouble started about 10:45 p.m. at a BP gas station on the 15400 block of West McNichols, just east of Greenfield, when police were notified that a man was allegedly assaulting women in the area by punching them. One woman was stabbed in the neck.

At some point, the suspect was shot in his left foot. Police don’t know whether he was shot before or after stabbing the woman, or who fired the shot.

The suspect then tried to board Detroit Department of Transportation bus number 3917, which was parked on McNichols. The driver, a 20-year veteran working the McNichols route, tried to close the door.

The suspect then forced his way in, and allegedly slashed the driver in the face. A Good Samaritan who was on the bus held the suspect down until police arrived.

The stabbing victim, the shot suspect and the slashed bus driver were all transported to Sinai Grace Hospital. The woman who was stabbed was transported by her brother; emergency workers transported the suspect and the driver.

All three were listed in temporary serious condition initially, but the driver was able to leave the hospital that night, said Sid Bogan, chief of Detroit Transit Police. The suspect is in police custody, pending charges, said Officer Jennifer Moreno, a Detroit Police Department spokeswoman.

Suvon Treece, spokeswoman for DDOT, wrote in an email that the driver will be off work until cleared to return by his doctor.

Wednesday's incident marks the third time a DDOT driver has been physically attacked this year, and the second to be attacked with a weapon (the other driver was attacked with a bottle).

In all cases, Treece wrote, "the suspect was apprehended almost immediately." Attacks on DDOT drivers are down 40 percent in the last three years, which Treece attributed to increased police presence and cameras "inside and out on nearly all of our coaches."