SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.

U.S. Attorney McQuade told to ‘stay in place’ for now

Jennifer Chambers
The Detroit News

U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade and other serving U.S. attorneys have been told to “stay in place” after Friday when President-elect Donald Trump takes office.

According to an email from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Detroit, McQuade was told that “currently serving U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Marshals are able to stay in place after January 20th while the process for identifying and confirming successors is further determined.”

The decision was made known Wednesday by the Office of Public Affairs in Washington, D.C.

McQuade, the first woman to serve as U.S. attorney for the Eastern District, is preparing to be replaced per tradition by Trump after he is sworn into office.

McQuade declined an interview in November with The Detroit News to discuss her future, saying only: “All I can say is it is customary for U.S. presidents to nominate and replace U.S. attorneys across the nation.”

Michigan has two U.S. district attorneys. McQuade, a Detroit native, was appointed by President Barack Obama in January 2010, while Patrick Miles Jr. was appointed by Obama in 2012 to serve as U.S. attorney for the Western District of Michigan.

During her career, McQuade and her team tackled public corruption on a wide scale, with her biggest collar capturing national attention: the conviction of former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick on public corruption charges.

McQuade’s office also won a conviction against Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, an al-Qaida operative, for attempting to blow up an airliner over Detroit on Christmas Day in 2009. He pleaded guilty and is serving a life sentence.

Previously, McQuade was an assistant U.S. attorney in Detroit for 12 years. She also served as deputy chief of the National Security Unit, where she prosecuted cases involving terrorism financing, foreign agents, export violations and threats.

JChambers@detroitnews.com