SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months

Kitchen fire closes restaurant at MGM Grand Casino

Candice Williams and Mark Hicks
The Detroit News

Firefighters tended to a fire that closed a restaurant at MGM Grand Casino in downtown Detroit on Thursday evening.

According to an alert at 7:30 p.m., a kitchen fire broke out at the casino at Bagley and Third.

The blaze flared near a broiler at the Wolfgang Puck Steak restaurant, Deputy Fire Commissioner David Fornell said.

A suppression system extinguished the blaze in the kitchen, but “there was still residual fire that got up and ignited grease in the duct (work)” leading up to the roof, he said.

Detroit firefighters doused the flames, which did not extend to the rest of the building, Fornell said. “There was minimal damage.”

According to WDIV-TV (Channel 4), the fire closed the restaurant. No injuries were reported.

A representative with the casino was not immediately available for comment.