3 arrested in Greektown brawl

Christine Ferretti, and George Hunter

Detroit — Police say they have arrested three people in connection with a videotaped beating in Greektown that was posted on social media. Two of the three are facing charges and are expected to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon in 36th District Court.

Stanley Faulk, 27, of Inkster and Keith Harvey, 26, of Detroit are charged with unarmed robbery, assault with intent to murder, assault with intent to do great bodily harm, and felonious assault, the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office announced Wednesday. Harvey is also charged with possession of cocaine, and authorities allege he had cocaine on him when he was arrested.

Both men are expected to be arraigned at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at 36th District Court. A third man, a 21-year-old man, was arrested in Warren on Tuesday evening, Detroit police have said. He has not yet been charged.

“We made a promise yesterday that we know who you are. We are going to find you and we are going to arrest you,” Chief James Craig said during a Tuesday afternoon news conference outside Sinai-Grace Hospital. “Just turn yourself in. We know who you are. It’s just that simple.”

On Sunday at approximately 1 a.m. on Monroe and St. Antoine, the prosecutor's office said, a friend of victim Brandon Putnam, 23, got into an argument with eight men. When Putnam tried to help a male friend who was being assaulted, "the group of men began to violently beat Putnam while he was on the ground," the statement said, and took his personal property.

Putnam, who was celebrating his birthday that night, is still being treated for his injuries.

The incident was captured on a 51-second video posted to Facebook hours later. The video opens showing an apparently unconscious Putnam lying on the sidewalk outside the Greektown Parking Garage at Monroe and St. Antoine.

The camera then pans to a man pulling a second victim, who has not been identified, by the leg, while others jump in and begin kicking and beating him.

Two of the aggressors then rush over to a third man – identified by Putman’s sister as a cousin – lying on the sidewalk and begin beating and kicking him amid shouts from onlookers. The man is attacked for a few seconds before he’s able to get up.

One man in the footage delivers a punch to Putnam’s head before walking away.

Eventually, two 911 calls were made and police arrived on the scene. But by then, the fight was over, Craig has said.

A 21-year-old man was arrested in Warren on Tuesday evening in connection with the incident, Sgt. Adam Madera said.

Earlier Tuesday, Craig said the two “most violent” suspects who kicked the victim as he laid “motionless on the ground” are in custody. The five remaining are being pursued by investigators, and “we’re very close,” Craig added.

“You don’t get to come into Detroit and engage in that kind of behavior, he said. “So, we have eyes everywhere.”

Putnam is recovering from his serious injuries, Craig said.

Craig also reported that the condition of a Detroit police officer shot in the face over the weekend is improving.

The officer was one of two shot just before midnight Sunday while responding to reports of a burglary at a vacant home in the 20500 block of Lesure on the city’s northwest side.

The officer, who was struck in the jaw, is in “great spirits” and awaiting oral surgery on Thursday, Craig told reporters. Both pellets have been removed from his face and Craig said he anticipates a full recovery.

“He is alert, laughing, so I am very encouraged,” he said, saying the officer, hospitalized at Sinai-Grace, is surrounded by family members and colleagues.

The house where the shootings occurred — which was across the street — had been burglarized Thursday, and the grandfather of the home’s 19-year-old occupant gave him a shotgun to protect his family, Craig has said.

When the officers, both 25 years old, approached that house, the 19-year-old man shot them through the door, Craig said.

The second officer, who has been on the police force 18 months, was hit with a piece of shrapnel. He was treated and released.

The teen told police he didn’t know he was shooting at officers. Craig on Tuesday said a charging decision has not yet been made.

“At this point, I can’t tell you what direction it will go,” Craig said.


Staff Writer Mark Hicks contributed to this report.