Exam set for St. Clair suspect in triple murder case

Candice Williams
The Detroit News

A preliminary examination date was set Tuesday for a 39-year-old St. Clair man accused in the deaths earlier this year of three men found in a home on Detroit’s east side.

Russell Govett returns to 36th District Court on June 15, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s office. He faces several felony charges in the triple murder Feb. 2 in the 18600 block of Sherwood.

Govett is charged with three counts of first-degree murder, three counts of felony murder and single counts of larceny in a building, felon in possession of a firearm and felony firearm, according to court records.

Officers arrived at the home on Sherwood around 11:30 a.m., Feb. 2 after receiving a call requesting that they investigate the home, according to Detroit police.

Officers found three men dead inside the home. One was lying near the front door, one on the couch and another lying on the kitchen floor. The three had been assaulted and one had a gun shot wound, police said.

There were no signs of forced entry, police said.

According to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Govett has previous convictions including involuntary manslaughter and delivery of a controlled substance in 2004 and second-degree home invasion in 1997.

cwilliams@detroitnews.com