Detroit -- A  14-year-old wheelchair-bound boy died in an electrical fire at his home early Sunday morning on the city's east side, a fire official said.


The 3:30 a.m. fire on the 11800 block of Riad, south of Morang and Kelly, does not appear to be suspicious, said Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found the teen's 52-year-old mother suffering from smoke inhalation.  A 16-year-old girl found outside on the side of the home, told firefighters that her wheelchair-bound brother was  trapped in his bedroom, on the back of the first-floor, Fornell said

Damage from the fire appears to be self-contained inside the house, which has a hole burnt through its roof. Fire damage is visible from the outside of the room where the boy  died.

Firefighters found the boy dead in his room. The boy's mother is hospitalized at St. John Hospital. The 16-year-old girl refused medical attention.

On Sunday morning, Fornell said that the fire did not appear suspicious. By Sunday afternoon, he said the fire is officially ruled electrical and accidental.

Read or Share this story: