Nikki Salgot was engaged to Wayne State University Police Sgt. Collin Rose before he was killed in the line of duty on Nov. 23, 2016. Salgot poses for her wedding photos a year after her grooms death. Sarah Rahal / The Detroit News


One year after of her fiance's death, a Michigan bride posed alone on what was supposed to be the "happiest day of her life."

Nikki Salgot, of Saint Clair Shores, was engaged to Wayne State Police Sgt. Collin Rose who died on Nov. 23, 2016. He was 29.

The K-9 officer was shot in the head the night prior while responding to a call about a suspicious suspect on a bicycle near Lincoln and Brainard Street in Detroit.

Nearly a year after Rose's death, Salgot posted solo wedding photos on Facebook to show "the pain left behind" and that she refuses to let the loss destroy or define her. 

The couple had planned to marry on Oct. 14. 

“I wanted to take the photos because I still loved Collin. Our plans were taken but my love was not," Saigot said in an email to The Detroit News on Saturday.

 "Plus, he was probably more excited about getting married than I was and I still wanted to have the memory of that day, for what it should have been. I simply sent the photographer an email asking if she would possibly have any openings in her schedule for some very important pictures I wanted to have taken.

"When I explained to her what they were, she said she cried and would be honored to take the pictures for me. A year later, I am doing much better than I ever thought I would be. I have an amazing family, both blood and blue, and a friend support system that push me to do better. They won't allow me to stop living or moving forward," Saigot said. "They constantly remind me to think about what Collin would want for me and I push myself to keep going."

Heller, who photographed Salgot, told "Today" that Salgot "was the picture of grief and resilience and strength and vulnerability and authenticity, all at once."

Heller and Salgot could not be immediately reached by The News for comment. 

Raymond Durham, 61, was charged Aug. 3 with first-degree premeditated murder, murder of a peace officer and possession of a firearm by a felon, and two counts of felony firearm in connection with Rose’s death.

On Oct. 14, Salgot reflected on Facebook of the wedding day she and Rose would never see.

"Today was supposed to be the happiest day of my life, the day I married my forever. Instead, it's an all too real reminder of how cruel life can be," Salgot wrote.  "...Every day is a gift and not to be taken for granted. It's been almost a year and it still feels like yesterday he walked out the door for work, and never came home. I loved a hero and paid the price. Given the chance, knowing the outcome, I'd do it all over again."

Read or Share this story: