Vigil honors slain Detroit police officer

George Hunter
The Detroit News

Glenn Doss fought for life until the end.

Detroit Police Commander Charles Mahone embraces Nikole Flowers, mother of slain Detroit police Officer Glenn Anthony Doss during a vigil at the Seventh Precinct on Monday.

The 25-year-old Detroit police officer was on life support Sunday afternoon in Detroit Receiving Hospital, having been shot in the head four days earlier during an apparent ambush on the city’s east side.

Doctors on Sunday told the family nothing more could be done to keep him alive, said his father, Glenn Doss Sr., who is also a Detroit police officer.

“The family decided we were going to allow him to make his transition to heaven,” Doss said during a vigil Monday at the 7th Precinct, where his son was assigned.

“When they took him off the machine, the doctors said it would take about three minutes for his heart to stop beating,” said Doss, who works out of the 10th Precinct. “Ten minutes went by; his heart was still beating. Twenty minutes went by; his heart was still beating.

“Finally, at 12:43 (p.m.), his heart stopped beating. God gave him to me, and God took him.”

Slain officer was ‘everything that is good about Detroit’

Dozens packed the lobby of the 7th Precinct on Chene on Detroit’s east side for Monday’s vigil. In addition to Detroit police, officers from Wayne State University and Highland Park, along with state Attorney General Bill Schuette, attended.

Doss’ mother, Nikole Flowers, broke down after the ceremony. “I just want my baby back,” she sobbed.

Doss was among a group of officers who responded to a domestic violence call at 10:30 p.m. Jan. 24. Police say Decharlos Brooks placed the emergency call to lure officers to his home in the 5500 block of McDougall, near Interstate 94 and Chene.

When the officers arrived, Brooks was outside of the home and allegedly began firing at them. Doss was a passenger in one of the patrol vehicles when he was struck in the head. Six other officers were under fire, Detroit police Chief James Craig said.

Doss was rushed to Receiving Hospital, where he hung on for life until Sunday.

Brooks, 43, was charged with first-degree murder Monday. Before Doss died, Brooks had been charged with eight counts of assault with intent to murder, seven counts of resisting and obstructing, one count of carrying a dangerous weapon and 17 counts of felony firearm.

Doss and his father enjoy some time with the family, off-duty.

“When I think of Glenn, the image that stands out is of Glenn and his dad on the stage with me at gradution,” Craig said. “This is probably one of the toughest situations I’ve had to deal with.”

Craig said Glenn Doss Sr. “has shown so much poise, and so much courage during all this. He’s standing tall and standing strong because he knows his faith will carry him through.”

Doss Sr. said he will forge ahead and rely on his faith in God.

“In my heart, I think this happened to Glenn Doss because a greater good will come out of this,” he said, before telling his fellow officers: “If you have a problem with your brothers and sisters in blue, life is too short — it’s never too late to go to them and apologize.”

A choir from the Church of the Messiah and Detroit officer Patrice Dubose sang songs at the vigil before candles were lit and held up by the somber-faced attendees.

“He stood up for his family,” Barry Randolph, pastor of the Church of the Messiah, said of Doss. “He stood up for the men and women in blue. He stood up for the people of Detroit. It’s a loss that someone so young gave up his life.”

A account has been started to help provide for Doss’ nine-month-old son, Eli.

Visitation is scheduled from 5-8 p.m. Thursday at O.H. Pye III Funeral Home, 17600 Plymouth, Detroit.

A funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at Greater Grace Temple at 23500 W. Seven Mile in Detroit.

(313) 222-2134

Twitter: @GeorgeHunter_DN