LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Nheru Littleton, a 41-year-old Detroit man charged last year with making online threats targeted at Detroit police officers, pleaded guilty Wednesday to one count of making a terrorist threat.

Another charge against him, using a computer to commit a crime, was dismissed.

Littleton's plea was made before Judge Vonda Evans of Third Circuit Court in Detroit. He is due back on April 10 for sentencing, court records show. 

The plea comes more than a year after Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette announced the charges against Littleton. He was originally arraigned in Oct. 2017.

Littleton made the threats in nine online posts on July 8 and July 9, 2016, threats which included statements such as "To those sniper's (sic) in Texas, I commend your bravery and actions!! #blacklivesmatter" and "Kill all white cops!!!"

Two months before that, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy declined to charge Littleton in the case, citing "substandard" police work that failed to prove Littleton was in Wayne County when he made the threats.

Said Worthy at the time: “The statement is vague. He did not indicate that he was the one who was going to kill all white cops, and never said that his Facebook friends should kill all white cops. Further, he did not indicate when all white officers should be killed or which white officers should be killed.

“There is no evidence the suspect took any action himself, or did anything to facilitate the killing of white officers.”

Worthy added Littleton was in Puerto Rico when he wrote the post, which is out of her office's jurisdiction.

Schuette's office took the case, saying at the time that “these charges are solid and substantive. I stand with the cops. These threats are serious. They provoke violence. We filed these charges; they’re solid, and this is a fight worth fighting for.”

Littleton's defense team attempted to get the charges dismissed at a March 14 hearing in Evans' courtroom, but failed. 

With his trial set to begin on June 5, the Michigan Supreme Court ordered a stay in the proceedings, until the stay was overturned in November. 

jdickson@detroitnews.com

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/2nU0KJd