Detroit man Cap Winn, 27, has been charged with homicide and larceny between $1,000 and $20,000 in the  Dec. 11 slaying of James Hunt Jr., 53, on the city's west side.

Winn was arraigned on the charges on Tuesday before 36th District Court Magistrate Laura Echartea, and was denied bond. He's due back in court the morning of Feb. 15 for a probable cause conference and on Feb. 22 for a preliminary exam, both before Judge Lydia Nance Adams at Third Circuit Court in Detroit.

He will remain at Wayne County Jail until his case is decided.

On Wednesday, the Detroit Police Department asked the public for help locating a "person of interest" in the slaying, 28-year-old Detroit man Danny James Robinson II, who is believed to have information relevant to the case.

Police say that on Dec. 11 at about 8:45 p.m., friends of the victim – who court records identify as James Hunt Jr. – went to check on him, but arrived at his home on the 2700 block of Cortland to find the door ajar. The area is south of Davison and west of Linwood.

Hunt was found on a couch in the living room, bleeding from the head.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner declared Hunt's death a homicide, the result of a gunshot wound to the head.

Winn was on probation at the time of Hunt's death. 

In April 2017, Winn accepted a plea deal and was given two years of probation on charges of breaking and entering a building with intent as well as buying and selling non-ferrous metals in a March 20 incident, state records show. 

Winn was on absconder status, said Michigan Department of Corrections spokeswoman Holly Kramer, from June 2017 through Jan. 11, when he was arrested to face charges of carjacking, armed robbery, felony firearm, weapon possession by a felon, larceny in a building and unlawfully driving away a motor vehicle, which took place on June 7, 2017. 

Winn was ordered, at his Jan. 24 preliminary exam, to remain on probation, and the court also refunded the $250,000 cash or surety bond Winn had posted. 

On Jan. 26, Winn reported to the Greenfield District Probation Office as expected, and completed a home visit on Jan. 31, Kramer said. He was arrested and arraigned last week on the murder charge.

In April 2011, Winn took a plea deal and was sentenced to a maximum of 2 years and 11 months on a charge of unarmed robbery, and was released from custody in January 2012.



Read or Share this story: