Woman electrocuted by live wire on east side
Detroit — The body of a woman in contact with a live wire was discovered on an alley on the east side of Detroit on Monday.
The woman, whose identity wasn’t released, was found in the 1600 block of East State Fair, said police.
It wasn’t known why the woman had come into contact with the electrical line.
That section of State Fair is a mixture of apartments and small businesses.
DTE Energy officials had been called to the scene, said police. Utility crews arrived at the site late Monday afternoon for repairs after Friday's wind storm when they found the body, DTE said.
"Tragically, they discovered the body of an adult female in an alley who had come into contact with a live wire in an area that had been blocked by yellow caution tape," DTE said in a news release. "Our hearts and prayers go out to the woman’s family. This is a sad reminder of the importance of staying at least 20 feet away from any down wire and assume that it is live. We are working with Detroit police to investigate."
The woman was the second Metro Detroiter to die after making contact with a live wire in as many Mondays. A week earlier, a 55-year-old Roseville man working a landscaping job in Oak Park was electrocuted when he tried to move a primary wire off of his truck bed.