Two news trucks, one from WXYZ-TV, and one from WWJ-AM, were attacked Thursday as reporters from those outlets did live shots from the site of a fatal hit-and-run crash on Detroit's west side.

The crash took place Wednesday at 11:50 p.m. at Dexter and Davison, said Officer Dan Donakowski, a Detroit Police Department spokesman.

A 52-year-old man was walking in the area when he was hit by a gray or silver Chevy Malibu, whose driver never bothered to stop at the scene. The Malibu may have been last seen heading northbound on Linwood.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene by medics.

Six hours later, reporters from the two news outlets were doing live shots from the scene when a man, possibly in his 50s, attacked their trucks with what police believe may have been a bat or baton. 

After the trucks were attacked, the victims called 911. Police arrived at the scene and made the arrest, and believe the suspect had been attacking a number of parked cars in the area. 

The suspect has been "uncooperative," and police believe he may be mentally ill. He was transported to the crisis center to be evaluated.

A story on the WWJ-AM website explains the attack: 

WWJ Reporter Mike Campbell was out covering a fatal pedestrian crash at Dexter and Davison around 6 a.m. Thursday when the suspect approached the WWJ News car. As Campbell was in the middle of a live shot, the suspect struck the windshield and driver's side window with a baton, shattering both. 

"I had put the windows up because I had started my report and I saw the man, but he seemed to be just walking by in front of the truck. He was saying stuff but I put the windows up because I didn't want our listeners to hear his foul words and then he apparently, just, something angered him, he turned around and attacked the news truck," Campbell said.

A truck from Channel 7 was also attacked by the man, who smashed its windshield and damaged a side mirror. Reporter Nia Harden and photographer Mike Krotche are both unharmed.


Read or Share this story: