Body cam check catches cops accused in home invasion

Charles E. Ramirez
The Detroit News
Assistant Detroit Police Chief James White Tuesday updated the media on three cases, including the suspensions of two officer accused of home invasion.

Detroit — Two police officers accused of home invasion and destruction of property were discovered during a random review of their body camera footage, a police official said Tuesday.

Officer Bradley Clark and Sgt. Paul Glaza were charged Friday in 36th District Court with second-degree home invasion, misconduct in office, malicious destruction of property under $200 and entering without a homeowner's permission in connection with the alleged incident Jan. 22. If convicted, they face up to 15 years in prison.

"Certainly we are concerned and we are certainly disappointed," said Assistant Police Chief James White. "It's important to keep in mind, however, that this kind of behavior is not consistent with the hard work of the men and women of the Detroit Police Department who go out there every day and do the best possible job they can."

Both officers, who work out of the department's 8th Precinct, were suspended with pay due to the allegations.

White made the remarks during a news conference held Tuesday morning at the Detroit Public Safety Headquarters downtown. He was joined by other members of the police department's command staff.

Read more2 Detroit cops charged with home invasion

The officers allegedly kicked in the door of a house on the city’s west side without a search warrant and arrested the homeowner.

The assistant chief said the accusations came to light after the officers' supervisor was conducting a random review of footage captured by their body cameras. The department has a policy that requires supervisors to randomly conduct the reviews, White said.

The investigation into the incident began in January, he said. 

He said if there's any positive aspect to the case, it's that supervisors "are doing what we ask them to do on a daily basis: hold officers accountable and conduct video reviews."

Detroit Police are looking for the suspect who was driving this minivan in connection with a fatal double shooting that happened Monday on the city's west side.

White also talked about two other police cases: a Monday double shooting on the west side and a Sunday fatal car chase.

Two men had been driving in a commercial vehicle near Seven Mile and Greenfield about 11:10 a.m. Monday when someone opened fire on them, according to police. One of the men, a 25-year-old, died. His 59-year-old companion was injured and is listed in critical condition.

Read more: 1 dead, 1 wounded in west Detroit shooting

He said the victims were traveling in a box van when a late model white Dodge minivan drove along side their vehicle. A suspect exited the minivan and fired shots at the two men, who had stopped at a red light.

Police have no description of the suspect at this time but released a photo of the suspect's minivan taken by a surveillance camera in the area.

Officials also discussed a fatal car chase that ended Sunday in the 17000 block of Chester near the intersection of Morang and Harper avenues along Interstate 94 on the city's east side.

On Tuesday, officials with the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said they have authorized charges against the suspect, identified as Darick Anthony Brown, 42, of Detroit.

Officials identified his victim as Kaneesha Griffin, 26, also of Detroit.

Officers responded to calls about a man in the area who was waving a gun around while driving a green Chrysler 300c. Police arrived to find a man who matched the suspect's description "to a T" and they stopped the vehicle, White said.

During the stop, the suspect put the car into reverse gear, struck the officers' vehicle and fled the scene, he said.

White said the officers pursued the vehicle and the suspect lost control of the car, striking a utility pole and then a garage. The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said the two occupants of the car were missing when officers arrived at the crash.

They searched the area and found Griffin in the alley behind the garage, officials said. Officers found Brown in the rear of a building in the 8660 block of Farmbrook and took him into custody.

Police also recovered a weapon near the car, according to officials.

His injured passenger, a woman, was taken to a hospital where she died from her injuries, the assistant chief said.

Brown is to be formally charged in 36th District Court in Detroit with second-degree operating a vehicle while intoxicated causing death, first-degree fleeing and eluding police, carrying a concealed weapon and being a felon in possession of a firearm, they said. He will also be charged with five counts of having a firearm during the commission of a felony.

The operating a vehicle while intoxicated charge carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison. The having a firearm during a felony is punishable by at least two years.

Twitter: @CharlesERamirez