Detroit police officer recovering after being shot late Saturday

Oralandar Brand-Williams
The Detroit News
Police Chief James Craig said a man fired on police, striking one officer. He said police returned fire and struck the shooter five times.

Detroit – A Detroit police officer was recovering Sunday after being shot Saturday trying to stop a driver speeding in an alley on Saturday.

The officer, from the 8th Precinct's Special Operations, was shot around 10:42 p.m. Saturday when he and two officers tried to stop a suspect for speeding in an alley near Greenfield and Florence Street.

When the officers got out of their police vehicle and tried to stop the car, the driver allegedly put the vehicle in reverse and pinned two of the officers between the cars. 

The man allegedly exited his vehicle armed with a handgun and fired "a number of shots" toward the officers, striking one. He fled and was located after he allegedly broke into a home. Officers "responded to the threat," firing at the suspect, said Detroit police Chief James Craig. 

The officers who were pinned between the cars received minor injuries.

The suspect was shot five times and was in "very" critical condition, said Craiglate Saturday.

"Because they were faced with imminent threat on their life, they fired and he was struck," said Craig.

The officer, who was shot in his mid-section, is described as a three-year veteran who is a "solid" officer, said Craig. 

"(The officer) is spirited ... in good condition. He was shot doing his job," said Craig. "It appears that he's going to be OK."

A weapon allegedly used by the suspect was recovered. He has not been charged and still was under treatment for his injuries.

The suspect has a prior criminal record, although not extensive, said Craig. The chief said he was not certain if that was the motivation for the suspect to attempt to evade the officers.

No other injuries were reported in the incident, which still was under investigation, said Craig.

(313) 222-2027