LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Detroit — After a fire in a room at a senior home on Detroit's east side killed a 78-year-old man Monday morning, a 79-year-old woman who lived in the home went missing, but has since been found, police said.

Two other women inhaled smoke from the fire and were hospitalized.

The fatal fire started about 3:15 a.m. at St. Joseph's Manor on the 4800 block of Cadieux, south of East Warren.

The victim was found in a chair next to his bed, badly burned.

The fire is believed to be accidental in nature, the result of smoking, and took place within a single room on the second floor of the facility.

Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell of the Detroit Fire Department said dozens of residents were forced outside after the fire. The fire department called warming buses to the scene, but the building was cleared for re-entry before they were needed.

Two women, one 82, the other 66, were transported to hospitals with smoke inhalation, but are "expected to be OK," Fornell said. 

The missing woman was found hours later on the 10800 block of Peerless, said Detroit police spokeswoman Latrice Crawford. That's about 1.5 miles from the scene of the fire. She has been taken to a hospital for a health check.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2019/09/23/man-78-burned-beyond-recognition-detroit-senior-facility/2416720001/