Judge changes mind, rescinds bond for alleged child rapist who hid in Mexico for 11 years

George Hunter
The Detroit News

Detroit — A Wayne County circuit judge changed his mind Friday and rescinded the bond he'd set a day earlier for an alleged child rapist who twice jumped bail before going on the lam for 11 years.

Judge Prentis Edwards' decision to remand 41-year-old Corey Gaston to the Wayne County Jail came a day after the judge granted $250,000 bond to the defendant, who is accused of kidnapping and raping a 10-year-old girl in 2007 before fleeing to Mexico, where he hid until his capture last week.

Corey Deshawn Gaston

Prosecutors had filed for an emergency hearing to have Gaston's bond revoked. The judge said during a brief hearing Friday he rescinded the bond because Gaston's history of absconding "wasn't available to the court until today."

However, Wayne County prosecutors say they cited Gaston's two previous instances of jumping bond during his arraignment Thursday.

"The bond argument was made in court on the record yesterday," Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said Friday.

"The allegations that he kidnapped and sexually assaulted a girl; that he absconded on two occasions; and the fact that he had been a fugitive for 11 years was all placed on the record," Miller said.

"We're pleased the judge has reconsidered and remanded the defendant to jail."

Gaston, wearing green jail garb and handcuffs, didn't speak during the hearing. He is charged with home invasion, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and kidnapping. 

Between 3 and 6 a.m. June 27, 2007, Gaston is accused of removing the screen from the victim's bedroom at the back of her home on Pierson on Detroit's west side.

Gaston allegedly crawled through the window, threw the girl over his shoulder and carried her to a nearby alley. Authorities say he threw the girl down and raped her. After the attack, Gaston told her to go home, threatening to hurt her if she screamed or tried to run, authorities allege.

Gaston’s cellphone and DNA were allegedly found at the scene. After his arrest, he was arraigned in 36th District Court on rape and kidnapping charges, and given a $50,000/10% bond, which he posted.

A warrant for Gaston's arrest was issued after he failed to show up for a hearing. U.S. Marshals tracked him to Georgia and returned him to Michigan. He was given another bond in August 2007.

Gaston's trial was set to begin in February 2008, but he fled again. This time, police say, he hid out in Mexico for 11 years.

Steven Schang, the attorney retained by Gaston, said Friday he was the defendant's attorney in 2007 when the charges were originally filed.


(313) 222-2134

Twitter: @GeorgeHunter_DN