61-year-old man dies in suspected electrical theft in Detroit
A man died Monday after allegedly trying to illegally hook up electricity to a house on Detroit’s east side, utility officials said.
City fire crews called to the 3800 block of Crane at about 10:30 a.m. found the 61-year-old on the ground in cardiac arrest and with burns on his hands, said Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell.
A preliminary investigation found the man "came into contact with a power line and fell out of a tree," DTE Energy representatives said in a statement. "Tools and devices commonly used in the theft of energy were found on the site."
Fire officials worked to revive the man as they rushed him to Detroit Receiving Hospital, Fornell said, but he later was pronounced dead.
Other details on the man were not released Monday night. An investigation is ongoing, DTE said.
"Anytime a person is hurt or killed in such a situation is a tragedy," the company said. "It’s important to note that energy theft is extremely dangerous.Tampering with electrical equipment exposes you, your family and your neighbors to the risk of electric shock, fire, explosion, injury or death."