Man charged after 3 slain in quadruple shooting at coney shop in Detroit

Mark Hicks
The Detroit News

Detroit — A 25-year-old Detroit man facing 10 felony charges in the fatal shooting of three people and the wounding of a fourth last weekend at a west side Coney Island was denied bond at his arraignment Wednesday.

Mickey Douglas

Mickey Dane Douglas was arraigned by 36th District Court Magistrate Jeffrey Kleparek, who denied him bond. 

Prosecutor Kym Worthy has charged Douglas with 10 felonies: three counts of first-degree murder, one count of assault with intent to murder, one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm and five counts of felony firearm, court records show.

Douglas is due back in court on Aug. 5 for a probable cause conference and Aug. 12 for a preliminary examination, both before Judge Ronald Giles.

Detroit police were called to the coney shop in the 9100 block of Dexter at about 11 p.m. Sunday to respond to a shooting, according to a news release.

Officers found two bodies in the restaurant and a third in the parking lot. They have been identified as Brian Jackson, 34; Carnell Watts, 24; and Courtney Willis, 20, all of Detroit, the Prosecutor's Office said.

Medics rushed a fourth victim, a 28-year-old man, to a hospital for treatment of gunshot wounds.

"It is alleged that the Douglas fatally shot the three victims and wounded the fourth victim," the Prosecutor's Office said.

Detroit police Chief James Craig called the arrest the result of "phenomenal work" by investigators and community tips.

"This is just an example that when the community gets involved anonymously, we can quickly identify and apprehend a violent perpetrator," he said in announcing the arrest on Monday.

He told reporters the suspect briefly spoke with one of the victims before opening fire.

"We just don’t know why," he said. "Another senseless shooting."

Douglas is on parole after serving time in prison for armed robbery and unarmed robbery.

Holly Kramer, a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Corrections, said Douglas had last reported to his agent on June 16.

Douglas had been scheduled to meet with his parole agent Tuesday, the day after he was arrested.