Toddler dies from enterovirus D68, first in Mich.

Lauren Abdel-Razzaq
The Detroit News

A 21-month old who became paralyzed during a battle with enterovirus D68 has died. This is the first reported death in Michigan from the virus.


Madeline Reid

Madeline Reid, the cherub-cheeked toddler from Clinton Township, died Friday after complications with the seasonal respiratory and stomach virus, according to a Facebook page set up to inform friends and family.

A DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan's spokeswoman confirmed the child's death as the first in the state Saturday.

"On behalf of the DMC we would like to express our sincere condolences to the family of Madeline Reid. Since mid-August the CDC has reported higher numbers of children experiencing respiratory illnesses caused by Enterovirus D68 with confirmed cases in 45 states including Michigan, said Suzanne White, M.D., chief medical officer, DMC in a statement, Saturday. "The DMC will continue to work with both the Michigan Department of Community Health and the CDC to monitor patients and provide the most appropriate care and support."

According to a GoFundMe page created by Madeline's mother Amanda Lynne Reid, the little girl was on life support since Sept. 14. The virus caused congestive heart failure and damaged most of her other organs.

She was scheduled for surgery to receive a mechanical heart to support her body while she was waiting for a transplant, but she was too ill and the surgery had to be canceled, according to the page.

Rudolph Valentini, M.D., chief medical officer at Children's Hospital of Michigan, also issued a statement:

"It is never easy to lose a child, and our entire healthcare team at the Children's Hospital of Michigan is deeply saddened by this family's loss and mourns with them during this very difficult time. Madeline was transferred to the Children's Hospital of Michigan for advanced services, with presumed community-acquired enterovirus infection. The CDC confirmed EV-D68 after her arrival here, and she subsequently succumbed to her illness.

The family asks that we all respect their privacy during their time of grief."

To donate to the family, visit http://www.gofundme.com/Pray-for-Maddy.

Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) has made thousands ill in 21 other states and contributed to several deaths. As of Oct. 3, there were 25 confirmed cases of the virus in Michigan.

The first cases in Michigan were announced by the Michigan Department of Community Health back in mid-September.

Enterovirus D68 can cause flu-like symptoms and respiratory problems, sometimes serious. The virus can be spread through coughing, sneezing and contact with contaminated surfaces. In some cases, paralysis has occurred in children who were previously suffering from symptoms similar to those caused by the virus.

Michigan health officials confirmed Sept. 30 that a Washtenaw County child infected with the respiratory and stomach virus had developed temporary paralysis.

The neurological illnesses started appearing in August, about the same time as the first cases of respiratory illnesses caused by enterovirus D68. The enterovirus outbreak was first identified in Chicago and Kansas City in August. Since then, 472 people in 41 states have been confirmed to have EV-D68 illnesses, according to the CDC. Because relatively few laboratory tests are run, the number who have been ill from the virus is likely many times higher.

Most of the Missouri and Colorado children who've had neurologic illnesses also had colds or fevers with respiratory symptoms in the two weeks before their arms and legs weakened.

But just four of the 10 Colorado children with neurologic illnesses tested positive for EV-D68, with lab results still pending on two others. And none of the Missouri children has had EV-D68 infections.

There is no vaccine or specific treatment.

lrazzaq@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2127

Associated Press contributed.