Threat level raised at Selfridge, other bases in U.S.
Security levels have been raised at Selfridge Air National Guard Base and other military bases because of concerns about the threat of possible terror activity.
"I can confirm that we've increased from Force Protection Condition Alpha to Bravo," Penny Carroll, chief of public affairs at the Harrison Township base, said in a statement issued Friday.
"Employees and visitors will continue to experience ID card checks and possible random vehicle searches; however, I cannot get into any specific increased techniques or procedures that we're taking."
She added: "Our stringent measures are designed deliberately to help ensure the well-being of our people, our missions and our community."
The change in the threat level at Selfridge mirrored changes at U.S. bases across North America.
The baseline level went from A to B, although most military installations — including the Pentagon — were already at a slightly higher level of protection than level A.
There are four levels, A through D.
Army Col. Steve Warren said the increase was not triggered by a specific event. He says it was due to a generally heightened threat environment, which would include the recent terror threat and attempted attack surrounding a provocative cartoon contest in Texas.
The alert level was approved by Adm. Bill Gortney, head of U.S. Northern Command.
Last month, Selfridge officials announced that 350 airmen and 12 A-10 Thunderbolt II planes had been dispatched to the Middle East for a six-month tour to battle Islamic State forces.
Detroit News Staff Writer Ursula Watson and the Associated Press contributed.