Clinton Twp. mom, boyfriend charged in boy’s death

Tom Greenwood
The Detroit News

Clinton Township — Prosecutors have charged a township woman and her boyfriend in the death of the woman’s 18-month-old son.

William Mark Warren III and Brandee Wright have been accused of causing the death of Wright’s son, Amere Carver.

Warren, 23, is facing one charge of felony murder and one count of first-degree child abuse. Both are punishable by up to life in prison.

Brandee Wright

Wright, 22, has been charged with one count of involuntary manslaughter, second-degree child abuse and lying to a peace officer. The charges are punishable respectively by 15, 10 and four years in prison.

According to Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith, the child suffered severe head trauma, as well as other injuries, while in Warren’s care on Aug. 11.

First responders found the child limp and unresponsive when they arrived. The boy was immediately rushed to McLaren Hospital. He was later transferred to Children’s Hospital where he died on Aug. 13.

William Mark Warren

Detroit resident Helena Harris said Amere was the only child of her son, Gharian Carver.

“My son loved his son greater than life,” Harris said. “He has been quiet and closed about Amere’s death. This is a terrible tragedy for our family. We cannot understand why this happened.”

Harris said the last time she saw Amere in a healthy state was on July 13 when he, and several of her other grandchildren, were at her home.

Then she received a fateful phone call on Aug. 11.

“I rushed to the hospital (McLaren) but they wouldn’t let me see him because they were going to transfer him to Children’s Hospital,” Harris said. “By the time I arrived at Children’s, he was already in surgery. Later that day, the doctors spoke to me, my son, Brandee and Brandee’s mother.

“They said he had severe injuries and was unresponsive when he was brought to the hospital.”

Harris said at one point Warren showed up at the hospital but was told to leave.

“There was a lot of anger,” Harris said. “My son and some of his friends walked behind Warren as he was leaving. I prayed that they wouldn’t start something, but then they were persuaded to come back without causing any trouble.”

According to Harris, hospital officials restricted Wright’s access to Amere.

Authorities believe there may have been earlier indications that Amere was a battered child. According to police, two weeks earlier to the child’s death, a pediatrician had noticed bruising to Amere’s face, arms and genital area.

When the child was admitted to the hospital on Aug. 11, doctors there also found a severe burn to one of Amere’s fingers.

Warren and Wright are both in custody and face arraignment Friday in 41B District Court in Clinton Township.

“It was just terrible when Amere died,” Harris said. “My grandson didn’t deserve this.”

(313) 222-2023