LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Sterling Heights — One firefighter was injured in a blaze that destroyed a Chinese restaurant late Sunday night.

The firefighter received an electrical shock while inside the building, according to Chief Chris Martin.

“It wasn’t that serious but we sent him to the hospital to be checked out just in case,” Martin said. “He was treated and released and came back to help clean things up. He’s doing well.”

According to authorities, the fire started in the rear of the Chinese Gourmet restaurant in a strip mall on 15 Mile and Dodge Park.

“All the businesses were closed at that time,” Martin said. “It was so smoky that we initially had a difficult time determining which business was on fire. The fire got up into the ceiling but didn’t burn through the roof.”

According to Martin, the restaurant was heavily damaged and will be closed for some time. The businesses on either side of the restaurant received heavy smoke damage.

Firefighters finally left the scene at about 4:30 a.m. Monday.

Sterling Heights received mutual aid from Shelby Township and Warren.

TGreenwood@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2023

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1KFo2ra