Police: Mount Clemens man lied after shooting himself
Mount Clemens — A 49-year-old man faces felony charges after he accidentally shot himself in the leg last week and blamed the injury on a phony shootout, according to the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office.
The Mount Clemens resident has a prior felony conviction and was not legally allowed to possess a firearm, officials said. The sheriff’s office is seeking warrants to charge the man with filing a false felony report and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
The man, who uses a motorized cart, called 911 around 3 p.m. Feb. 26 to report a shootout at Court and Park streets, officials said. The man claimed he was returning home from nearby Broadway Market and crossing at the intersection when he witnessed two men arguing before opening fire. He supposedly was struck by one of the bullets during the shootout.
The man told deputies he returned to his home about a block away on North Broadway, put away his groceries, then called police about 30 minutes after the shooting. Numerous sheriff deputies and detectives responded to the call. During initial interviews with deputies, the man described the alleged shooters and stated they fled in an unknown direction.
The injured man was transported by ambulance to McLaren Macomb Hospital for treatment to a through-and-through gunshot wound to his left calf.
Meanwhile, officials searched the intersection for shell casings or blood, but failed to find any evidence. Neighbors reported they never heard gunshots.
Detectives uncovered the sham during a follow-up interview on Monday with the injured man, officials said. When confronted, the man allegedly admitted he accidentally shot himself in the leg and then created the shootout story to explain the injury.
Detectives obtained a search warrant for the man’s home but were unable to locate the gun, officials said.