Bomb threat clears Roseville school, ruled not credible
An early Tuesday morning bomb threat to Roseville Middle School was examined and found not credible after the school was evacuated, said Deputy Police Chief Donald Glandon of the Roseville Police Department.
The school has been declared all-clear and as of about 9:30 a.m. is open for the rest of the school day, said Roseville Community Schools Superintendent John Kment. The day ends at 2:50 p.m.
While some media reports said it was a suspicious package that triggered the threat, Glandon said it was a phone call that came in just before 7 a.m. Officers responded immediately and did a sweep of the school, which was completed shortly after 9 a.m., Glandon said.
Students, teachers and staff had been moved to nearby Steenland Elementary School so police could do their inspection.
The threat, Glandon said, “does not appear to be credible.”
“It’s now a school matter,” he said.
While Roseville police are working to trace the call, the school system’s technology department is trying to do the same, Kment said. If the caller can be identified, Kment said, they will be prosecuted.
Kment said it’s “been years” since the district faced a bomb threat. Some parents were concerned and pulled their children out of class for the rest of the day. Those absences will be excused, Kment said.
“We hope this is not contagious,” Kment, a 47-year veteran of the district, said. He’s been superintendent for 28 years.
Roseville Middle School has just short of 800 students enrolled.