Carbon monoxide sickens couple, dog at Warren hotel

Mark Hicks
The Detroit News

Two people and a dog were left unconscious after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on Monday afternoon at a Warren hotel, authorities said.

The couple, believed to be in their 60s and visiting from Colorado, as well as the pet, all were found unconscious at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Warren in the 30000 block of North Civic Center Drive, Mayor Jim Fouts said.

Officials there initially detected carbon monoxide readings of about 400 parts per million, “which could be fatal if people are exposed to that for a long enough time,” said Roger Morgenstern, a spokesman for Consumers Energy, which is probing the incident.

By the time a crew from the utility arrived, the levels had dropped to around nine parts per million, which is generally the threshold for evacuation, Morgenstern said.

The guests and the canine were rushed to Detroit Receiving Hospital, Fouts said. Details on their condition were not immediately available.

Meanwhile, the hotel — which is near the city administrative offices — was evacuated. No one else in the building was believed to have been sickened.

City fire authorities and Consumers Energy workers remain on the scene investigating what caused the high carbon monoxide levels.