99¢ per month for 3 months
99¢ per month for 3 months

Cops: Man shot by police driving on brother’s license

James David Dickson, and Candice Williams

Fraser — Police on Wednesday afternoon shed light on why a Clinton Township man shot by a police officer in the early morning may have chosen not to pull over during a traffic stop.

“The driver of the vehicle went to the Secretary of State and put his face on his brother’s driver’s license,” said George Rouhib Jr., director of public safety for Fraser. “He didn’t have a driver’s license. He has a revoked license and has numerous convictions of drunk driving and for fleeing and eluding police.”

Rouhib said it is not yet known if the man, who is 29 years old, was intoxicated at the time of the incident. The man was in intensive care Wednesday at McLaren Hospital where he underwent surgery, Rouhib said.

“It looks like he’s going to be okay,” he said.

The man, initially believed to be his 26-year-old brother, was shot by a police officer following the traffic stop that turned into a low-speed police chase police said.

It all started about 4:12 a.m. when the driver of a Ford Mustang was pulled over for a “red-light infraction,” Rouhib said.

Rather than stop, the driver of the Mustang allegedly kept driving, leading police on a chase from an industrial complex in Fraser to a residential subdivision in the area of 15 Mile and Kelly in Clinton Township.

Near the end of the pursuit, as police tried to pin the Mustang in, the vehicle allegedly “repeatedly tried to ram the police cars,” Rouhib said.

At that point a Fraser police officer, a 19-year veteran on the force, fired his weapon. Police believe the suspect was hit twice by the gunfire, Rouhib said. He was hit once in the head and once in the shoulder, said Capt. Richard Maierle of the Clinton Township Police Department.

Emergency workers took the suspect to the hospital.

Police were puzzled earlier because the person named on the driver’s license the suspect provided, does not have warrants out for his arrest and has a clean driving record, Rouhib said.

After talking with the man’s family it was revealed that the suspect had access to his brother’s vehicle, which was stored at his home, police said.

“The family was very cooperative,” Rouhib said. “They asked how the officers were doing which we really appreciate. It’s one of those things that happened so fast. It’s unfortunate. Something simple just stop and deal with the consequences.”

Clinton Township police are handling the shooting investigation, as it happened in their jurisdiction, Maierle said. Fraser police, however, will handle the fleeing-and-eluding part of the case, he said.

Rouhib said the suspect could face numerous charges including assault with a dangerous weapon and falsifying a driver’s license.

Two patrol cars containing three officers were involved in the pursuit. Those three officers are on paid administrative leave, as is customary after officer-involved shootings. The department expected to get oral statements from the officers later Wednesday, and hoped to review any dash-cam footage of the incident by the end of the day, Rouhib said.

Clinton Township officers did not arrive at the scene until it was over, Maierle said.

Police there were dealing with the fallout of a hold-up at a 7-Eleven on 16 Mile and Groesbeck and didn’t have any units available until after that arrest was made.