Police: Tree lights spark fire in Sterling Heights home

Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

An electrical malfunction on Christmas tree lights caused extensive damage Friday to a Sterling Heights home, prompting officials to warn that the decorations remain fire hazards in the aftermath of the holiday weekend.

A single story home became "well involved in flames" around 3:30 p.m. Friday on the 38000 block of Claremont, according to Sterling Heights police. The fire was quickly contained but caused significant damage to the home.

"The fire marshal was called to the scene to investigate the cause of the fire, which was determined to be an electrical failure of the lights on the (live) Christmas tree," police said.

All occupants and their pets were out of the home when the fire ignited, officials said. No one was injured.

In the wake of the fire, officials warned the public to keep their trees well hydrated. The holiday decorations should be removed when they become dried out.

Residents also should be sure circuits are not "overloaded" with too many lights, and the lights should be unplugged before families go to bed or leave the home.

hfournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616

@HollyPFournier