Sheriff: Father dies in grease fire started by son's cooking

James David Dickson
The Detroit News

Harrison Township — A 69-year-old Harrison Township man died Monday after a house fire  the previous day as his son cooked a meal, police said.

The fatal fire startedat 8:40 p.m. Sunday at the Beachwood Townhomes on Metro Parkway and L'Anse Creuse, the Macomb County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. 

When deputies arrived, they were told that the victim, Christian Majewski, was still inside the house. Firefighters pulled him out and took him to a hospital, but he died on Memorial Day.

The blaze, police say, was a grease fire that started as the victim's 41-year-old son was cooking. 

The son tried unsuccessfully to put out the fire, police said. He alerted his father and neighbors of the fire, but soon realized his father never left the home. He tried to re-enter it, but the flames and smoke proved impassable. The 41-year-old was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation.

The sheriff's office does not believe foul play was involved.