LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Macomb Township — For the second straight summer, police are conducting searches in Macomb Township related to cold cases dating back to the 1970s.

This year's search was announced Monday in a statement by the Macomb County Sheriff's Office. Other departments involved include the Warren and Canton police departments, Michigan State Police and the FBI.

Last year's search was a highly public week-long effort that began in early May, but yielded no results. This year's search is in the same area, 23 Mile and North Avenue, but on the north side of the Clinton River, south of 23 Mile. Police said they were looking for six bodies last year, but haven't announced a target for this year's effort. 

"Multiple investigations have led us to this location and we are hoping to bring justice to victims and closure to their families," read the joint statement on the search.

Unlike last year's search, when press conferences were held regularly at the dig site, including at least one with family members of girls believed to be missing, police say they won't speak on the matter further unless a discovery is made.

Then and now, the search centers around the crimes of Arthur Ream, a 70-year-old man serving a life sentence for a 2008 conviction for first-degree murder in the April 1986 death of Cindy Zarzycki, who was 13. The dig site is near where Zarzycki's body was found.

"The task force has been working on several cold cases involving missing juvenile females and believe that they were committed by the same individual," the statement said. "Our primary goal is to determine what happened to these missing girls, and who is responsible. These investigations will remain open until we reach a conclusion."

Read or Share this story: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/macomb-county/2019/08/19/police-second-search-tied-macomb-township-cold-cases/2051364001/