Youths arrested in threats against Roseville, Chesterfield, Melvindale schools
Roseville — Two eighth-grade girls from Chesterfield Township have been identified as the suspects behind bomb threats at two Macomb County middle schools, officials said.
Authorities also said a 12-year-old boy was arrested for making a threat against Melvindale-Northern Allen Park Public Schools.
Chesterfield Township police said Thursday detectives are seeking petitions from the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office to charge the two girls in connection with the threats.
They said the girls, both 13, were serving a school suspension when they allegedly made the bomb threats against L'Anse Creuse Middle School East and Roseville Middle School.
The girls attempted to conceal their identities when they made the threat by using a cellphone app, according to authorities.
Detectives were able to break the app's ability to hide identities. Once they were interviewed, the girls confessed to making the threats, police said.
Earlier Thursday, Roseville police said their detectives had identified the suspects behind the threat against Roseville Middle School and will be seeking charges.
Officials said no further information will be released about the case until police meet with the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office.
On Wednesday, police were notified about 2 p.m. about the threat against the school on Martin Road near Grosebeck Highway.
Deputy Police Chief Donald Glandon said Wednesday that students and staff were sent home while officers investigated. Police and canine units searched the campus but did not find any contraband.
Melvindale police on Wednesday arrested a suspect who allegedly made online threats against the city's school district Monday that prompted administrators to cancel classes for three days.
More: Arrest made in '2 shooters' threat that closed Melvindale schools for 3 days
That same threat had been reposted on social media in the Center Line Public Schools and Roseville Community Schools districts.
On Thursday, officials with the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said they have charged a 12-year-old Melvindale boy with making the threat.
He was charged with a count of threatening to commit an act of violence against a school and a count of malicious use of a telephone, they said. Both charges are misdemeanors for adults.
The male preteen received a $7,500 personal bond and will have a pretrial hearing at 9:30 a.m. Sept. 27. If convicted, he will be sentenced as a juvenile, according to officials.