Macomb Co. girl charged with making false bomb threats against 2 schools
Mount Clemens — A middle school student has been charged with making false bomb threats, Macomb County's prosecutor said.
The girl is accused of making threats against two middle schools, according Prosecutor Eric Smith. If convicted of the felony charge, she faces four years in prison.
The girl allegedly called L’Anse Creuse Middle School East at 1:18 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18 from her home in Chesterfield Township and said there were multiple bombs around the building school. Authorities said the girl used an app to disguise her phone number and deepened her voice to sound like a man.
The girl is accused of calling the school again at 1:52 p.m. and screaming into the phone that bombs were around the building.
Police said she also allegedly used the same app to call Roseville Middle School at 1:37 p.m. and told staff “there are bombs placed all around your school.” She called the school again about 10 minutes later and said “you have 30 minutes” before hanging up.
Michigan State Police troopers, Macomb County sheriff's deputies and Roseville police officers searched both schools and found no evidence of bombs.
An investigation led them to the girl. Officials said during questioning, she told detectives she made the calls as a copy-cat of threats made against Melvindale schools earlier in the week.
She also said a friend dared her to make the calls, and both girls were on the phone line when the threats were made, authorities said.
Smith said both girls were not at school at the time because they both were serving suspensions.