Eastpointe Middle School resumes class after evacuation due to gas leak
Eastpointe — Students at Eastpointe Middle School have returned to class after a report of a gas leak in a boiler room prompted authorities to evacuate them, officials said.
By about 10:15 a.m., the Eastpointe Community Schools district said Consumers Energy found no leak and cleared the building for students to return. Classes have resumed as normal, it said.
In addition, it said a crew is working to repair the boiler.
Officials said the leak was reported at about 9 a.m. and students boarded school buses to keep warm, according to the Eastpointe Community Schools district and Eastpointe Public Safety Department.
Eastpointe Middle School is located on Kelly Road south of 10 Mile.