Prosecutor receives warrant request in taped arrest
The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office received a warrant request from Michigan State Police in the rough arrest of a carjacking suspect that was caught on video, the office said Thursday.
A statement issued by the Prosecutor's Office on Thursday doesn't mention the officers involved in the arrest, but does say it also separately investigates any incidents involving officers. That investigation is ongoing, the office said.
State police last month launched an investigation into two police officers' actions related to a videotaped arrest of carjacking suspect Andrew Jackson, 51, on Jan. 12.
MSP said Thursday night that the agency had "submitted the results of an investigation into an arrest of a suspected carjacking that occurred in the city of Detroit."
"MSP's role is now concluded in this matter," Lt. Michael Shaw wrote in an email late Thursday. He said MSP "does not 'request charges' or make 'charging recommendations.' Any charging decision that is made is done within the Prosecutor's Office."
An undercover sergeant from Grosse Pointe Park and Highland Park Sgt. Ronald Dupuis, responding as part of the ACTION stolen car task force, were filmed by a northwest Detroit resident as they arrested Jackson, a parole absconder, hours after he allegedly pointed a gun at a Detroit woman and her two grandsons before allegedly stealing her vehicle.
The video, posted on Facebook, showed Dupuis striking Jackson several times while apparently trying to handcuff him and at least once after he was handcuffed.
The video produced outcry and protests from members of the community who said the officers should be criminally charged. Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan asked MSP to investigate the officers' actions.
Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the Prosecutor's Office, wrote in an email Thursday: "We have received a warrant request from the Michigan State Police relating to the arrest and apprehension of Jackson on January 12, 2015 by A.C.T.I.O.N. by officers after an allegation that he was involved in a carjacking case."
The Prosecutor's Office is doing its own investigation because the incident involves police officers, Miller said.
"In all police involved incidents the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office conducts an independent investigation regarding the allegations prior to reviewing the warrant to determine whether charge will issue," she wrote.
She would not release names of anyone investigated. "Unless someone is charged, we don't give a name out," Miller said. "We don't comment on an ongoing investigation."
Jackson faces multiple charges related to the carjacking. His preliminary examination is scheduled for March 3 before District Judge Michael Wagner.
The incident sparked outrage from community members and the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, which called for criminal and civil charges plus the suspension of the officers involved.
Director Ron Scott described the incident as "almost a wolf pack attack."
Last month, Highland Park city attorney Todd Perkins said city officials were awaiting the results of the state police probe before deciding whether to suspend Dupuis.
Phyllis Knox, the carjacking victim, told The Detroit News she and her grandchildren were "pretty shaken" after the incident. She said she felt the officers' actions that day were justified.
"People have to understand: Those officers knew this man was armed, and had just pointed his gun at me and my grandchildren," Knox said at the time. "Then, they're chasing him (on foot) for several blocks. So when they finally get him down, and he starts reaching for his gun, what are they supposed to do? I don't feel sorry for that felon."
The controversy over the January incident also followed months of similar protests locally and nationally stemming from claims that police brutality allegedly contributed to the deaths of two black men: Eric Garner, 43, of Staten Island, and Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old, in Ferguson, Missouri.
Associated Press contributed.