Officials: Short circuit killed Michigan student
Augusta Township — Investigators say a missing ground line and short circuit from a field light caused the death of a 13-year-old boy who was shocked at a school football game in Michigan.
The Ann Arbor News reports school district officials announced the findings Thursday. Lincoln Middle School student Christian Lorinczy was electrocuted Sept. 30 after he fell backward into a fence near bleachers at the Lincoln High School football field. He died three days later.
A district official says state and district investigators determined that a ground line between two light posts on the field didn’t connect. The electricity traveled to the fence instead.
He says no one tampered with the school’s electrical panels and electricians will examine the light post.
The superintendent says the district will implement a new preventative maintenance schedule.