LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Lansing — Officials in Lansing blame an electrical problem for a fire that killed a 64-year-old woman and forced dozens of other residents to flee.

The fire was reported about 6 p.m. Sunday on the sixth floor of Friendship Manor Apartments.

Friends, relatives and rescue personnel helped residents negotiate the sidewalks as they left the building.

The Lansing State Journal and TV stations WLNS and WILX identify the victim as Dixie Shaw, a 64-year-old resident. Lansing fire spokesman Steve Babcock says the first firefighters to arrive found smoke pouring from an upper floor and called for additional units.

Crews from Lansing Township and East Lansing also responded.

Residents who couldn’t leave immediately were put on buses and then taken to the Lansing Center.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1J1jJTF