Welding work sparks fire at Michigan League building
Welding work sparked a fire Monday afternoon at the Michigan League building on the campus of the University of Michigan.
No injuries were reported in the fire, which started around 2:30 p.m. Monday, according to Deputy Chief Melissa Overton of the University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security.
Firefighters and police remained on the scene at 911 N University Monday afternoon.
The fire started on the third floor of the building as contractors did copper welding work, Overton said. The building was evacuated and an alert Monday afternoon advised that the area be avoided.
The Michigan League houses amenities including a convenience store, conference rooms, a hotel and the 640-seat Mendelssohn Theatre.