Death on boat linked to leak in generator’s exhaust
Benton Harbor — Officials say a leak in a generator’s exhaust left one person dead and others sickened by carbon monoxide aboard a boat in Lake Michigan.
The Berrien County sheriff’s department says rescuers responded Sunday off of Jean Klock Park in the southwestern Michigan city of Benton Harbor. Undersheriff Chuck Heit tells the Kalamazoo Gazette carbon monoxide seeped into the boat’s cabin.
He says it appears to be accidental.
The department says three people were taken to hospitals, where 53-year-old Leonard Anthony Russian of Cass County was pronounced dead. A 45-year-old woman from Cass County who was aboard the boat was treated at a hospital in St. Joseph.
A 63-year-old man from Granger, Indiana, who boarded the boat to help, was taken to a hospital in Grand Rapids for treatment.