Sheriff: Baby dies after bassinet catches fire
Vienna Township — A sheriff in eastern Michigan says a 5-month-old baby has died after his bassinet caught fire.
The Flint Journal reports the baby boy was taken to a hospital Thursday afternoon after his bassinet caught fire in a home in Genesee County’s Vienna Township. Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell says the baby died several hours later.
Pickell says no foul play is suspected in the baby’s death and that it “appears to be just a horrific accident.” He says the bassinet was on a table, and an open flame nearby caught the baby’s bedding on fire.
According to Pickell, the infant’s parents were at work and family members were babysitting.