Light bulb blamed for fire at Flint-area golf course

Associated Press

Thetford Township — Officials say a ceiling light bulb caused a fire last week that destroyed a clubhouse and dozens of golf carts at a Flint-area golf course.

Co-owner Teresa Casselman tells The Flint Journal that the state fire marshal determined the source of the fire at a cart storage barn at the 18-hole Vienna Greens Golf Course in Genesee County’s Thetford Township.

The fire started around 1 a.m. July 6 and spread to the clubhouse. About 50 carts in the barn were destroyed and the roof caved in on the clubhouse.

Casselman says she’s rented some golf carts and plan to lease more.

Casselman and her sister and Mary Jane Key have co-owned the golf course for 20 years. They plan to rebuild. Their parents previously owned the club.