Flint trash collection dispute leads to duplication
Flint — An ongoing dispute about trash pickup in Flint has led to two companies trying to handle some of the same routes.
Haulers from Rizzo Environmental Services ran from house to house collecting recyclables Monday with a 30-minute lead over the city’s current trash hauler Republic Services, The Flint Journal reports. By the time trucks for Republic made it to some neighborhoods the recyclables were gone.
“I’m not aware of any conflicts, but we are the only ones with a legal contract,” said Joseph Munem of Rizzo Environmental Services. “I’ve never seen a hauler do this without a contract. The city is telling us to pick up the trash.”
Mayor Karen Weaver’s office earlier this year recommended that the city replace Republic with Rizzo. The city council has voted to keep Republic.
Garbage collection was suspended for one day in August amid the dispute, which comes as Flint works to recover from its crisis with lead-tainted water.
Weaver issued a statement last week explaining her decision to send a letter to Republic saying its services were no longer needed.
“After months of consideration, negotiation and litigation, I am ready to move forward with a temporary appointment of the lowest responsible bidder to begin collecting waste in Flint,” Weaver said.
Republic, however, said it’s still under contract and would be out on the streets on Monday. According to Republic, they are under contract with the city to continue hauling trash until a judge’s order is lifted.