Consumers Energy sues over power line damage in Straits
Mackinaw City – Consumers Energy has filed a lawsuit, saying a tugboat anchor caused more than $1 million in damage when two underwater power lines were severed in April.
Spokeswoman Katie Carey says the lines have been out of service since 1990 but remain in the Straits of Mackinac near the Mackinac Bridge. The utility still is considering what to do with them.
Consumers Energy is the latest to file a lawsuit over the April 1 anchor incident. Enbridge Energy, the state of Michigan and the owner of other power lines are also suing VanEnkevort Tug and Barge, alleging damage.
Consumers Energy says the “no-anchor zone” is well known. The lawsuit was filed last week in federal court in western Michigan. A spokesman for the tugboat company declined to comment Monday.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.