John Dingell released from hospital, plans fishing trips with hospital staff

Jonathan Oosting
The Detroit News
John Dingell released from Henry Ford

Former U.S. Rep. John Dingell was released from Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit on Tuesday a little more than one week after suffering what his family described as a heart attack.

"I'm breaking out of this place," the 92-year-old Dearborn Democrat announced on Twitter. "Thank you for your kind words and prayers. And thank you (University of Michigan football) and the (Detroit Lions) for  not further complicating my health this weekend. Blessings on you all"

U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, the former congressman's wife who now holds his seat, confirmed her husband's release, and her office shared pictures of him departing the hospital. 

"The nurses and doctors of Henry Ford Hospital have heard all of John’s stories and decided it was time to release him," Dingell, D-Dearborn, said in a statement, thanking them for his "excellent care."

"We will not miss the hospital but the staff are truly unbelievable and became friends in this last week.  He is planning fishing trips with several of them."

John Dingell was the longest-serving member of Congress when he retired in early 2015 after 59 years. Debbie Dingell won election in November 2014 to replace him.

He was the chairman or ranking Democrat on House Energy and Commerce Committee from 1981-2008 and helped shape landmark laws affecting the environment, telecommunications and the auto industry.

Since leaving Congress, Dingell has built up a reputation as a witty Twitter personality, with over 248,000 followers, mostly commentating on President Donald Trump and UM football. 

He used the social media platform on Monday to foreshadow his release from the hospital. “The only internet rumor I care about right now is the breaking news that I could be released from the hospital as early as tomorrow," he wrote.

Dingell was admitted to Henry Ford on Sept. 17. His wife said at the time he had been "feeling off" that morning and appeared to have had a "small" heart attack. Supporters across the political spectrum wished him well. 

"We thank everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers over the past week," Debbie Dingell said Tuesday. "Home never looked better and the doctors are amazed at his passion and strong spirit. We are lucky.”