Family offers $8K for info on hunter’s death
Lansing– The family of a Michigan man who was shot and killed last month while hunting deer is offering a more than $8,000 reward for information about his death, citing concerns that it may not have been accidental.
Chong Yang’s family held a candlelight vigil for the 68-year-old Thursday at the state Capitol, The Lansing State Journal reported.
The family initially believed that his death was an accident, but they now believe it was an “intentional shooting to kill and rob our family member in the woods,” said Joseph Yang, a spokesman for the family.
“Please help us find the person who did this,” he said. “Help us find closure.”
The family said one of the main reasons they suspect foul play is because Chong Yang’s gun and backpack were taken. Other concerning details include that Chong Yang suffered a head wound and there was no evidence of a gunfight, leading the family to believe that he was ambushed.
Bath Township police said that they haven’t yet determined whether the shooting was intentional.
“At this point in our investigation, we do not have any facts to make that determination,” Officer Avery Lyon said in an email to the newspaper.
Chong Yang was found dead Nov. 16 while hunting deer northwest of Lansing in Clinton County. He was on state-owned property where hunting is permitted and was wearing orange hunting clothes.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Bath Township Police Dtective Miller at (517) 641-6271 or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.