Relative: Christmas Eve fire killed Michigan family’s 5 dogs

Associated Press

Colon – A southern Michigan family is mourning the loss of all five of their dogs in a Christmas Eve fire that broke out when the family was at a holiday celebration.

MLive cites a relative, Karen Herman, as saying that the family’s dogs died in Tuesday evening’s fire and the family also couldn’t locate their cat after the blaze at their Colon area home.

Five dogs died and the house was a total loss in this Christmas Eve fire in Colon, Michigan.

She said the family “lost everything” in the house fire.

But she said the family could have lost their own lives had they been at home and said she was thankful they weren’t there.

Herman is a grandmother to one of the children.

TV station WTVB reports that the family is now staying with relatives in nearby Mendon.