By end of holiday weekend, Detroit could be halfway to historic heatwave
Detroit — If projections become reality, Detroit could be halfway to a historic heatwave of consecutive 90-degree days set more than six decades ago.
Friday was the second straight 90-degree day this week; Wednesday's high had only reached the mid-80s, but temperatures in the 90s are expected at every point on the National Weather Service extended forecast for the next week.
The longest stretch of 90-degree days in Detroit history is 11, and it happened in 1953, ending on Sept. 4. If the Fourth of July weekend goes as planned — "It's gonna be hot," said National Weather Service meteorologist Ian Lee — Monday would be the fifth consecutive day.
Friday could see isolated thunderstorms in the northwest suburbs of Detroit, Lee said. But other than that it's a dry, hot holiday weekend on deck.
The Fourth of July on Saturday will see 93 degrees but fall short of a record. The highest temperature for the date was 102 in 2012.
The National Weather Service said the hot streak washing over southeast Michigan is caused by a large area of high pressure and a deep, warm air mass over Michigan that is expected to linger.
By July 7, a rain shower that's in the forecast may be a relief.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 91. East northeast wind 6 to 10 mph.
- Saturday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 67. East northeast wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight.
- Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 94. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon.
- Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 70.
- Monday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 96.
- Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 73.
- Tuesday: A chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 96.
- Tuesday Night: A chance of showers before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 75.
- Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 95.
- Wednesday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74.
- Thursday: A chance of showers. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 96.