Police chase in Monroe ends with suspect killed in Toledo

Associated Press

Toledo — A police chase that started in Michigan ended early Monday with officers killing the suspect in Ohio.

The chase began in Monroe, Michigan, and officers pursued the suspect into Toledo, where the suspect struck a utility pole and fled on foot.

The suspect was shot and killed, Toledo police said. Officials said the suspect has been identified as Michael Clifton, 50, of Monroe.

According to authorities, Toledo Police were notified by the Monroe County Sheriff's Office at about 12:22 a.m. deputies were pursuing a suspect who had fired at least one gunshot near 2121 N. Monroe in Monroe, which is the address for the Mall of Monroe. 

By 12:59 a.m., the pursuit entered Toledo on Interstate 75. A couple of minutes later, Toledo police officers had joined the pursuit in the area of Detroit and Phillips avenues. 

A few minutes after, the suspect's vehicle crashed near Virginia and Scottwood. Police said Clifton exited the vehicle holding a handgun to his head and started walking down Scottwood toward West Bancroft.

A police crisis incident negotiator was called and tried to de-escalate the situation, they said. The negotiator spoke to the suspect for 18 minutes, trying various de-escalation techniques. 

During negotiations, a Michigan State Police trooper deployed his electric stun gun to subdue the man, but it was unsuccessful, officials said.

Shortly after and while the negotiations continued, Clifton made both verbal and hand motions that indicated he would point the gun at police, authorities said. He then repeated the words "tick tock" multiple times and pointed the gun back at his own head.

Officials said Clifton brought the gun down, got into a shooting stance and raised it at police. Toledo police officers and Michigan State troopers fired at Clifton. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Toledo police officials said the officers who their weapons will be place on paid administrative leave according to department policy while the incident is investigated.

Michigan State Police officials said the two troopers involved in the incident have also been placed on administrative leave per department protocol while the investigation continues.