Video: Man sought in North Dakota slaying arrested in Metro Detroit after police chase

A former Michigan resident wanted in connection with a murder in North Dakota this summer was arrested Monday in Metro Detroit following a police chase, officials said.

The Minot Police Department learned Kamauri Kennedy was apprehended by the U.S. Marshals Service, said its chief, John Klug.

Officials with the U.S. Marshals Service did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday night on the arrest.

An extradition date had not been set.

Kamauri Kennedy

Kennedy had been wanted on an arrest warrant for murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the death of his 33-year-old girlfriend, Domonique Kelley, Minot police reported.

Kelley's body was found June 3 in a burning vehicle in Minot. Kennedy disappeared, and a home he was staying in also burned, police said. A 2013 Chrysler 300 reported stolen that he had been driving was later found torched in Minnesota.

Klug said his department sought help from the U.S. Marshals Service to locate Kennedy, 32, who has ties to Detroit and was believed to have returned to the city.

"We wanted to bring some closure for the family and make sure that we were trying to find the person responsible," Klug said. 

On Thursday, the Macomb County Sheriff's Office released dash cam and body cam footage of the police chase.

Editor's note: This video contains graphic language that some may find upsetting. 

The sheriff's office said U.S. Marshals called deputies at about 12:40 p.m. Monday to request help with conducting a traffic stop on the suspect, who was traveling north on Groesbeck in a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. Marshals also told deputies they were following the minivan.

A deputy spotted the vehicle in Mount Clemens and began to follow it as well. He activated his patrol vehicle's lights and siren, but the suspect fled on the highway's shoulder, officials said. The deputy gave chase and the suspect was arrested when another sheriff’s deputy executed a maneuver with his vehicle to stop the suspect.

Officials said the suspect and his passenger were arrested and unharmed. They also said the deputy who ended the chase sustained non-life threatening injuries and multiple vehicles were damaged during the pursuit.  

According to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Kennedy is a parolee who was released January 2020 and scheduled to be released from supervision in April 2022. He was sentenced in December 2019 to a maximum of two years in prison for a larceny from a motor vehicle conviction. 

Kennedy has previous convictions for armed robbery and felony firearm possession, according to the department.

In 2015, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia announced Kennedy and seven others in a Detroit-based "traveling robbery crew" had been sentenced to federal prison in connection with a smash-and-grab at a jewelry store in an Atlanta shopping mall two years earlier.

Kennedy was sentenced in 2014 to five years, 10 months as well as three years of supervised release and ordered to pay $276,465 in restitution, investigators said at the time.