Peanut allergy kills Oakland U student
Pontiac — An Oakland University student who was in a coma for a week after an allergic reaction to peanut butter has died.
The Oakland Press reports that 19-year-old Chandler Swink died Wednesday evening at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital in Pontiac.
Family members say Swink had come into contact with peanut butter on Nov. 18 at a friend’s house. He was found unconscious in the hospital parking lot the next day after driving himself there.
Doctors told Swink’s relatives that he simultaneously suffered anaphylactic shock, an asthma attack and cardiac arrest.
Swink was a sophomore at the university.