LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Troy — An fire that broke out in an apartment complex early Christmas morning had residents jumping from second-story balconies in order to save their lives.

According to the Troy Fire Department, the blaze broke out at about 2:45 a.m. Thursday at the Somerset Apartments, located in the 1500 block of Kirks Boulevard, off of Crooks Road and between Maple and Big Beaver.

When firefighters arrived, they found fire and heavy smoke shooting from a first-floor apartment, extending from the exterior to the apartment on the second floor.

At least two neighboring residents escaped the blaze by hanging from their second-story balconies and then dropping to the ground.

Firefighters had their hands full with the two-alarm blaze, which was on the verge of extending into the second floor of the complex. Officials determined the fire began in the kitchen of the apartment.

The elderly woman living in the apartment was alerted when her smoke detector sounded off, giving her time to leave the apartment and alert neighbors.

She was taken by EMS to Royal Oak Beaumont Hospital for evaluation. One Troy firefighter was treated for burns to his ears.

One cat died in the fire and two other felines are missing.

The Salvation Army was brought in to find housing for the woman as well as eight other residents who had to leave because of smoke damage to their homes.

TGreenwood@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2023

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1Bca8GJ